You can keep up to date with our learning here. We are excited to show you our projects, art work and much more.
February 2020 Update:
Our theme of study this month is Greek Mythology. We are listening to the stories through audiobooks and learning about Persephone and Hades, Orpheus and Eurydice and Theseus and the Minotaur. In our Geography, we are familiarising ourselves with the physical features of Greece, as well as comparing the names of historic and modern Greek cities.
Maths lessons this month have been very creative. We have been learning how to find the area and perimeter of irregular shapes. We have worked outdoors to practice these skills, then we used architect floor plans to master the skill of measuring using a scale, following in the creation of a dream home floor plan which includes the area and perimeter of each room.
We explored the works of the French-Russian artist Kandinsky. He mixed the primary colours and created abstract paintings that we all really loved. We created abstract paintings, inspired by his work.
We have made a series of floor routines in Gymnastics class, varying in skill level and duration. This has resulted in a fantastic whole class routine, that the children are very proud of. Have a look at the video on our Facebook page.
January 2020 Update:
Welcome back! We are all well rested after our Winter break and are ready to learn all about American culture, politics and history.
We have studied Native Americans, researching different theories about how they arrived in North America. We made dream catchers and presented projects based on Native American culture, traditions and languages. We are now able to name major cities, landmarks and some physical features of the continent.
We have been working on Gymastics skills in P.E this month. One of our wonderful parents came in to help out for our first Gynmastics lesson, to share their skills with us. We are perfecting our tumbles and landings, practicing aerosport balances and aiming to choreograph a floor routine next month.
December 2019 Update:
This month we have been very busy researching different types of Winter celebrations around the world. Some of the children in our class celebrate Christmas in some way, but it is so important to remember that there are lots of other celebrations happening at this time of year too. We worked together and individually on projects to learn more about Hanukka, Kwanza, the Winter Solstice, The Wren, Nollaig na mBan, Fiesta de los Reyes and Chinese New Year.
November 2019 Update:
- This month we are learning through the theme of Africa. We will be learning about different aspects of the continent through the different subjects. We had a drumming workshop from Afro Beats and we got to play a huge selection of African instruments.
- We completed projects on the Maasai Tribes of Kenya and Tanzania, studying their history, culture, language, traditions, housing, foods and education. We made a Maasai village using clay and recycled materials and presented our project to the class.
- In Learn Together, we discussed Stand Up Awareness Week. Our lessons were about taking a stand against homophobic, biphobic and transphobic bullying. The lessons took an equality and human rights approach to respect and inclusion .
October 2019 Update:
- In our Gaeilge lessons, we are focusing on developing our oral language skills. This month, we are learning all about food (bia). Click here to listen to a conversation in our restaurant Bia Blasta, where two diners are deciding what to order.
- Through Learn Together we explored conflict resolution and fair debate, by writing and performing in a drama depicting a meeting between Greta Thunberg and Donald Trump.
- Our overall theme for the month was Ancient Egypt. We studied this topic through English, art, music and geography. Have a look at some of our work below. We completed fantastic projects in groups, filled with facts, maps, drawings, hieroglyphics and pictures and these are shaped like the Pyramids of Giza.
September 2019 Update:
- The children in 5th & 6th researched current news issues and wrote a 30 second news report. Hear how they got on here and here .
- This month we have been studying through the theme of Space. We read about the moon landing, learned about the Solar System and lots of galaxies, we read Buzz Aldrin’s book “Reach For The Moon”, we drew astronauts, wrote stories, created fabric aliens and also painted our names as star constellations.
Above, you can see a STEAM project, where we made a 3D solar system. We researched the size of the planets to make sure we had them to scale, made a plan about what our planets should look like considering all we know about their make up, and added recycled materials to make them as realistic as possible. We all really enjoyed this activity.
Below you can see some images from the Climate Change Action Week, where we continued the protest towards Red Lane. We also did a drama activity based on our Space theme. Our dramas were full of aliens, rockets and moon landings!
Check out our fabric aliens below, click the link to hear all about them (these links will only work until December)!Loading Likes...